Let me start by saying that Dr E was my first pick when we decided we wanted to see an RE. Unfortunately he does not take my insurance. My OB, which I love, works in the 2nd floor and Dr E is in the 4th floor, so of course they referred me to him. As I said, they didn't take my insurance so we went ahead with our second pick, Dr O. I do love my RE, but it got to a point were he didn't want to try anything new, nor do more testings ... he wanted to go straight to IVF, which for us it isn't an option yet.
A friend of mine goes to Dr E. and she had told me about an IVF trial coming, so she suggested to at least have a consultation with them so that I would be in their records once the trial opens up. (They expect the trial to open late 2009 or beginning of 2010). So I gave them a call, and the cost for the consultation was $295, too much for us now. So I went ahead and explained her my situation, and she said "OH for second opinions its free! "
We had our consultation yesterday, we went over all my history and he reviewed all my results except for the NKA results since I was having a hard time collecting them from SIRM. I actually got my results from the lab today and fax them over.
Here is a summary of the appointment:
Positive:
- He said my ovaries, uterus, tubes, everything looks healthy
- I stimulate great with the meds, he said I had a high chance of multiples and that he would have cancelled some of my cycles!
- My estrogen, progesterone, fsh, etc looks great
- I'm still young and lots of chances of being a mommy
Negative:
- We still don't have an answer to why I keep m/c.
He said he disagreed on why we used injectables to soon, it was not worth it and more a risk of multiples. He said why not try Femara first. He believes I have an immune problem and he would like me to do some more testing on that. He will decide what as soon as he reviews my NKA results. He thinks if IUI worked, why try IVF, he said I shouldn't go on that route yet, there are still other options before that.
I had an u/s done, where he said everything looked perfect and guess what... I OED FROM BOTH OVARIES WITHOUT MEDS! He was surprised !!! Definitely ovulating is not a problem! My lining looked great, and everything else was perfect. I do have a cyst from one of the eggies, he wants to see me on CD3 to make sure is gone.
After we do the testing on the immune problems, he wants us to do a FEMARA+IUI cycle. My DH is so ready for all this but I'm certainly not.
I was already set to the idea of no more treatments for a while, I'm just not ready to do this again, at least not yet. Not ready for a BFN, not ready for another m/c. But the Dr believes we shouldn't loose more time... what to do?
Any advise is more than welcome!! I don't know what to do!! What would you do if you were me?? Keep in mind its about 1,200 per cycle for which I will need to empty my 401K (I have about 2,500 though since the rest I took it as a loan last year).
Anthony is 14. Ashley is 11.
4 years ago



4 comments:
that's such a tough decision Ana! Only you can make it...I understand your RE's desire to hurry, but you're very young yet (in the fertility world). I was forced to take the time to re-evaluate b/c of the cyst that I had...Maybe you can let that cyst be your guide--if it worsens, give your body a break from the drugs. If not, maybe that's a sign to go ahead...Pray, and don't do anything that you're not at peace with.
Hello Anna... I have followed your story off and on and read your blog.
I was very disappointed for you when you had your recent miscarriage.
I have gone through similiar issues as you. I started TTC in April 2007. I conceived right away only to have an ectopic. It took 15 months to get pregnant again with a RE only to miscarry at 5 weeks (blighted ovum)in July 2008... then another 7 months and got pregnant in February 2009 only to miscarry at 8 weeks (missed abortion with D&C on April 8).
I don't have the luxury of youth... I turn 40 this year in October. When I started TTC in 2007 I was only 37 and thought I would pop a baby out, maybe a second and be finished with a year to spare from the big 4-0. It has been a frustrating journey.
Like you I have strong faith. My husband is a minister. He has no children of his own, but he is a loving father to my 5 1/2 old son.(We married on 3/31/07).
Sometimes I think, maybe its God's will for me to not have any more biological children. We are planning to adopt a boy from DFACS who is 8. Hopefully that will happen this year. My husband and realized soon after we married that we had both had that dream of adoption even before we found each other.
But, in reading your latest blog.... I feel that God is too good to fail..He has babies in store for you. I know he does. His will for me....I am not so sure... It may not be his will. But, my husband and I are okay with that...we are blessed with my (our) son and will soon be blessed with Austin (the 8 year old). Everything else will be gravy.
And you do have the luxury of youth. The information from the new RE sounds very good. Perhaps you can go back to just doing Clomid to ensure a strong ovulation and then IUI to get the little swimmers close to where they need to be. That will save a lot of money.
That is what I am doing. This is my first cycle since my D&C. Unfortunately they say it is a bust since I didn't respond fast enough to the Clomid. I had no follicles growing at cycle day 11and low estrogen. Three days later I had a follicle that came in at 5 and estrogen level rose by 2 points. Now three days later my estrogen has doubled, but they cancelled my IUI since I will have a late ovulation and potentially not good egg quality. I go up to 150 dose of Clomid next cycle. So, no injectibles yet for me even though I am old ;) and even though it has been over 2 years TTCing and my ovaries aren't responding super well. But, it looks like my RE moves slowly with the drugs.
But, I am going to do one or two more IUI/Clomid cycle...(if I don't naturally conceive with my late ovulation next week)...
And if the two IUIs don't work then we will go natural and TTC for a year and then stop. I don't see having a newborn at 42.
But, for you... it is coming. Don't give up. I know how frustrating, disappointing and sad this all is. I too dread another miscarriage or ectopic. I got through this last one well enough... another one and I would be very upset. But, God gives us strength and we can get through anything.
So..just decide what is best for you. You sound like you are enjoying a break from the TTC journey. Maybe just try naturally for a while and give your body and wallet a break from all the drugs.. and then when you are ready go back to just Clomid or other noninjectible and IUI. And the IVF trial is just around the corner and that sounds promising. You have time.
It is coming. I am praying that God gives you this blessing that you and your husband are praying for. No more heartbreak. And for me... for him to give me the strength and wisdom to be the best mother to Marcus and Austin that I can... and if it is in his will to another little one.
God bless you!!
Michelle
Hello Anna... I have followed your story off and on and read your blog.
I was very disappointed for you when you had your recent miscarriage.
I have gone through similiar issues as you. I started TTC in April 2007. I conceived right away only to have an ectopic. It took 15 months to get pregnant again with a RE only to miscarry at 5 weeks (blighted ovum)in July 2008... then another 7 months and got pregnant in February 2009 only to miscarry at 8 weeks (missed abortion with D&C on April 8).
I don't have the luxury of youth... I turn 40 this year in October. When I started TTC in 2007 I was only 37 and thought I would pop a baby out, maybe 2 and be finished with a year to spare from the big 4-0. It has been a frustrating journey.
Like you I have strong faith. My husband is a minister. He has no children of his own, but he is a loving father to my 5 1/2 old son.(We married on 3/31/07).
Sometimes I think, maybe its God's will for me to not have any more biological children. We are planning to adopt a boy from DFACS who is 8. Hopefully that will happen this year. My husband and realized soon after we married that we had both had that dream of adoption even before we found each other.
But, in reading your latest blog.... I feel that God is too good to fail..He has babies in store for you. I know he does. His will for me....I am not so sure... It may not be his will. But, my husband and I are okay with that...we are blessed with my (our) son and will soon be blessed with Austin (the 8 year old). Everything else will be gravy.
And you do have the luxury of youth. So..take the time to relax and heal from all that you have been through, perhaps try naturally for awhile... and the IVF trial looks promising. If that doesn't work maybe just try Clomid and IUI when you are ready.
That is what I am doing. This is my first cycle since my D&C. Unfortunately they say it is a bust since I didn't respond fast enough to the Clomid. I had no follicles growing at cycle day 11and low estrogen. Three days later I had a follicle that came in at 5 and estrogen level rose by 2 points. Now three days later my estrogen has doubled, but they cancelled my IUI since I will have a late ovulation and potentially not good egg quality. I go up to 150 dose of Clomid next cycle. So, no injectibles yet for me even though I am old ;) and even though it has been over 2 years TTCing and my ovaries aren't responding super well. But, it looks like my RE moves slowly with the drugs.
With my age if I had the money I would do IVF... but, I am not willing to spend that type of money. And I do have a child already so it is not something I need to do.
But, I am going to do one or two more IUI/Clomid cycle...(if I don't naturally conceive with my late ovulation next week)...
And if the two IUIs don't work then we will go natural and TTC for a year and then stop. I don't see having a newborn at 42.
But, for you... it is coming. Don't give up. I know how frustrating, disappointing and sad this all is. I too dread another miscarriage or ectopic. I got through this last one well enough... another one and I would be very upset. But, God gives us strength and we can get through anything.
But, it is coming. I am praying that God gives you this blessing that you and your husband are praying for. No more heartbreak. And for me... for him to give me the strength and wisdom to be the best mother to Marcus and Austin that I can... and if it is in his will to be a mother again to another little one.
God bless you!!
Michelle
Ana - I am not sure what the femara and IUI will do for you if you are already Oing on your own...? If he thinks it is immune related then what would that help? I dunno. I would have the doctor explain that to me (if you don't already know). You know that after two early mcs, I did the injectible route. But I really think that the prednisone, progesterone, folic acid and baby aspirin are what kept the last pregnancy. I would definitely not feel too rushed into anything... you have time on your side. I know how badly it hurts to want a baby though too. Hang in there! I'm here for you if you need me.
Post a Comment