I finally had the telephone appointment with the SIRM institute. They had some special testing in immune disorders that most RE's don't have. I read a lot on their website and had a great feeling that they might be able to have an answer to my recurrent losses.
The Dr was really nice, we went over each of my cycles and through all the testing I have had done. He said my RE has basically tested for EVERYTHING except for what he thinks I have! He said there are just 2 tests that I haven't had done and in 1 I have all the characteristics, the other test he doubts I need it. He said most REs don't test these.
So what he thinks I have is .................. Nka - Natural Killer Cells...!! So, what's this? Basically those cells attack invading trophoblasts cells (root system of the embryo) as soon as it tries to gain attachment to the uterine wall. The attack the baby.
So what is the treatment?? Basically I will need to do IVF, and as soon as the eggs are retrieved he will do a Intralipid Infusion (composed of soybean oil, egg yolk phospholipis, glycerin and water). Before the only option was IVIG ( Intravenous gamma globulin) but now they have the infusion as an option, is 90% cheaper and as effective, plus I'm scared of blood transfusions. If I do get pregnant, he will need to do another infusion when I'm about 5-6 weeks (the infusion lasts 3-4 weeks). He said that when the baby is about 8 weeks he will be able to defend himself. How horrible is that I might have been attacking my own baby!! Of course is not my fault... but still..
The test costs $305, I will do it here but send the b/w through FedEx to Chicago, that is where the lab is. And it will be between 7-10 days to get the results. I will having this test done on June 1st, since that is when my Flex Plan kicks in because my insurance doesn't cover this.
He did say that all my and DH testing looks wonderful. My hormones are perfect, my uterus, ovaries, tubes, everything looks great. He also said that its great that the baby had no chromosomal abnormalities (2ND m/c) that means we have less chances of that happening. So I guess good news all in all.
I'm so happy to "probably" have an answer to this nightmare, but sad that I might never be able to conceive on my own. I'm scared of the results, if they are positive I will have this forever and if they are negative then I will be left with no answers. I guess only God knows why and what I have, and I just have to keep praying that he shows us the road he wants us to follow.
I have my post D&C appointment on Monday, we will hopefully get some results from the baby and I really want to hear what the RE thinks about all this.
Anthony is 14. Ashley is 11.
4 years ago



4 comments:
Thinking of you Ana - looks like you have some wonderful doctors that are very determined to get this solved for you... I wish you ALL the best and you will be held in my prayers!!
Ana I really hope this is your answer. and if it is try not to be too concrened about conceiving on your own, once you have your baby it really doesn't matter how it got there.
You're always in my prayers Ana, and I'm glad that it's looking like you might finally get some answers. God bless!
I'm glad you might be getting some real answers! I can't wait to find out!
Kim
Post a Comment